Claudia + Clochette - Berlinale

=> Berlinale
=> What does ShahRukh represent for me? - Qu'est-ce que ShahRukh représente pour moi?
=> Om Shanti Om
=> SRK fan-forum

Copyright: Claudia Stapp


 How I met ShahRukh… Did I meet him?

To be honest, I meet him constantly, and I met him in Berlin for hours and hours, through all the people who love him. I meet him in looking around me, in all what makes me smile, I even meet him in people who don’t know him. And I meet him in the nature surrounding me, in the sun, the clouds, the moon, the stars, the breeze, the colours, the smell of the announcing spring. But that is not the topic of the thread…
Writing about what I lived in Berlin is, in no way, a matter of some lines. It could be, one could reduce my presence there to some paragraphs – for each day one. I can’t because these days are a chapter of my life, not only some lines. I am always astonished how much the notion of time changes when it comes to love. But somehow, it is logical, because ‘time’ is something connected to our limited life on Earth while love is something universal, cosmic, unlimited. So five or six days or five or six hours or even only five or six minutes don’t have anymore the meaning of days, hours and minutes, they become a part of my life, a story I lived, a treasure chest.
Waiting for hours for ShahRukh, to see him, to get an autograph, a smile, a look of these amazing eyes, a hug, a tender stroke, a blessing, some words… in a fraction of a second, these hours have no weight anymore, they are just the ‘before’. For me, the waiting hours in Berlin were not only a ‘before’, they were already a ‘being with ShahRukh’. It is somehow tough for me to write this because despite a tender smile a strange sadness makes his way from my heart to my eyes; I terribly miss you, Yesim, Gai, Kerstin, Andrea and Andrea, Melanie and Melanie, Silvia, Marjorie, Alicia, Eliah, Heike, Sonja, Marlies… and… and… and…

I had just finished the German version of my book when I read about ShahRukh coming to Berlin. My first reaction was “no, I won’t go”. I instantly doubted that I would have the possibility to meet ShahRukh. Because, you have to know, meeting ShahRukh, for me, is talking to him about my project or doing an interview, it is not about a hug, an autograph, a short smile. I knew that the dead line for the press-accreditation had been in December (for the press conference) and as for the luck to get an appointment for an interview… at that moment I didn’t believe in. However, two days later, my energy came back, and suddenly, I went back to action. I wrote letters: to the press-office of the Berlinale, to that of the Talent Campus, to Eros Entertainment, to ShahRukh’s secretary. I spoke to my distant relatives who live in Berlin, I started to make plans, I got involved in the enthusiasm reigning in the planet...
Negative answer from the Berlinale, negative answer from the Talent Campus, no answer from the secretary, a ‘may be’ answer from Eros. This ‘may be’ stimulated me to go further, to contact newspapers, to offer my knowledge and writing skills. Because there was a tiny chance to get an interview if I get an interested newspaper…
The nation-wide ones told me that they have already someone, it was only the Berliner Tagesspiegel where I got the message: “If you get an interview, we will publish it.” Back to Eros with this message, it still remained a ‘may be’. But in the meantime, that was not relevant any more, I wanted to go for the fans, for being part of those who would show their love for ShahRukh. Meeting ShahRukh for an interview became a secondary thought, meeting him with his fans was the main goal.
I arrived by car around 1am the 5th and went to the ticket office in the Arkaden. As the topic of this thread is not about meeting ShahRukh’s fans, I will not go in detail, but from the very first second, stepping into the shopping mall, I was ‘at home’ which I left then, five days later, after the Talent Campus. It is very strange… I am born in Berlin, lived there the first twelve years of my life, I passed time with some people I did not see for more than ten years, but I only felt ‘at home’ being with my sisters in heart.
The 6th, I got a message from my daughter (I had no internet-access where I was) that Eros had scheduled me for a face-to-face interview with ShahRukh, 10 minutes on Saturday, 11.30am, for the Tagesspiegel. After the photoshooting planned for 11am, I would be the second on the list. Have I to tell what I felt, what an immense thank you I sent to the sky? Ten minutes with ShahRukh even on a professional base…
Do you believe in kismet, karma, fate? I do. I am sure that things always happen as they are meant to happen even though I mostly don’t know why at once; sometimes the reason, the positive, the “that had to be like this” is showing later, much later… I decided not to tell anybody of my friends about the interview before having had it, by instinct. The kind of interaction I had till then with ShahRukh had taught me to wait and see. But I asked some what they would like to ask ShahRukh if they got the opportunity to do so and noted the questions later.
The premiere of OSO, ShahRukh getting out of the car, declining to take the direction indicated to him, turning around, crossing the road… When I saw him giving a clear “no” with his head to the wish of the organizer and turn to the dark side of the road, my heart just melted away (as so often when I notice his consideration for people) – I was standing there, watching him, deeply happy. The place I had allowed me to watch him but not to meet him. But I didn’t bother, there would be tomorrow. I was behind the barriers at the side-door when he left but decided not to ask him for autographs because it was pitch dark and it would have been difficult to read the names. Again, I didn’t bother, there would be tomorrow. After the film, I was told by the German bodyguards and the organizer that ShahRukh would leave through the front door for meeting his fans once again; they quoted ShahRukh with “I want to see those who have waited for hours this night.” One did not allow it because he was already hours late for the After Show Party and with all the fans waiting outside… in addition those who had already entered the theatre…so he had to leave at the side-door. No brief meeting, no autographs, but I didn’t bother, only some hours and I would meet him…
I did not sleep this night. Back from the cinema early in the morning, I just took a shower, went again and again through my questions, day-dreaming, imagining, trying to stay calm and cool, to think professional. At 8am, I took the bus, at 9.20, I was at the Maritim hotel, spending the next hour in the computer-room. Saying good morning to the women responsible for the organization of the press junket (three Germans and one from London) I received the press-kit with two magazines from Eros, the OSO music CD (with the air-poster) and a press-DVD with posters and the trailer. I joined other journalists and photographers in a beautiful room with two tent cards they had also at the shooting in London. I saw Felis and the woman of DW-TV, and I met Fatma, a free-lance journalist I had met in Mumbai. I had given her the Eros-contact so she could also get an interview. But when I saw her she was very upset because it seemed that one had cancelled her interview…
ShahRukh was expected for 11am but I was pretty sure that he would not come before noon. I didn’t bother, one hour more or less to wait… not a big deal. Indeed, he arrived at noon, apologizing for being late (it made me smile, I was sure he had made some fans happy awaiting him at the Regent). He passed me to put his cigarettes on a fireplace in the corner and asked me “How do you do?” I was surprised because he clearly had asked me (and nobody else). Of course I replied “I really feel fine ShahRukh, very fine.” Then he went to the corner with the two OSO-ShahRukhs and was, for three minutes, in the cross fire of flashes. I did not make photos (I knew that Felis would make gorgeous photos, as ever), I only watched. It was very strange to see him being exposed like that and I asked myself what he was thinking, how he was feeling… it was really a strange atmosphere for these three minutes that seemed to be much, much more. Did he really feel at ease?
He left the room going down the large corridor to the room for the print-media-interviews. The room we were in would be the one for the TV-interviews. Some of the photographers stayed because they also were scheduled for interviews. There were sandwiches, little cakes and drinks for us, but my stomach was like sealed. Still ten minutes to wait. I took place outside the interview-room ShahRukh was in and became the witness of something that turned out to be not in my favour: the three German women were, to say it gently, upset. They had got new directives from the London woman to change the schedules because of the one hour lost. The whole list was turned upside down, some who were scheduled for late the afternoon were phoned at to come earlier (and had, nevertheless, to wait after that), I was said to wait. As I am a very patient person, I didn’t bother, it only meant just to wait a little longer…
I had two magazines to read, so I read them, in between watching ShahRukh change the rooms, doing shootings and interviews in the hall. The German women still remained chaotic, forgetting to knock at the door when the time for the interview was supposed to be over (it was up to them to look after the time and to give a sign) – so 10 minutes-interviews stretched to 20 minutes (and so on). After two hours I friendly asked and was informed that one could probably not give me the whole 10 Minutes but only 5!! They would regret immensely, but there was just a too tight schedule… I tried to stay positive.
Two hours later – ShahRukh had not made a break till then – I asked once again. I had seen my friend Fatma who suddenly was given the first scheduled then cancelled interview (she wrote for the nation-wide Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung; it is, imo, a very good interview). We both had also the written promise of an interview with Kishore Lulla, the chairman of Eros, but Mister Lulla was not there (or available or whatever). I was happy for Fatma, but I worried for myself. I was told that most probably I would not get the time for my interview (I guess, because the Berliner Tagesspiegel is one of the lesser important media). At that moment, for me, the “most probably” was equal to “not at all”. Nevertheless I didn’t leave. ShahRukh still paced from one room to the other, using these moments to relax mentally. No break, not one minute (except for going to the loo). He smoked during the interviews, drank coffee during the interviews, perhaps (but only perhaps) ate something. I left my place near the print-interview room and joined the rest of the waiting ‘fellow sufferers’ near the TV-interview-room…
It was about 6.15pm, normally time for ShahRukh to leave. But who would associate ShahRukh with ‘normal’?! Only those who know nothing about him (that means the German organizers). ShahRukh was well aware that there were still some people waiting to meet him. So, instead of leaving he wanted to see all of us during a so-called ‘round table’ after the last TV-interview. We were eight. The ‘round table’ consisted in a big, comfortable sofa and two easy chairs. Six of us took the sofa, two one chair, ShahRukh pulled the second near to us – it was a cosy little round. “Five minutes” the ‘chief’ of the three German women had told us. I decided to only ask a question if the others had nothing to say or would be too shy because I already knew that I would not get the material to write the article wished by the newspaper. As it turned out, the others had enough questions. Nobody would have guessed that ShahRukh had already a six-hour-interview and shooting marathon behind him. The only sign was his voice that was a little hoarse.
(The following, you have not to take word by word, it’s the meaning that is important.)When the five minutes had become fifteen, the ‘chief’ woman interrupted with “last question, please”. ShahRukh turned around, looking at her. “You are already late, Mr. Khan. You have to do a speech at the banquet of the Talent Campus, and before you have to go to your hotel.” She remembered him with clear urge in her voice. “Have I?” ShahRukh asked. Gosh, what a cute man, at that moment rather a big boy who was not at all thrilled about the task reminded to him. “It’s your choice, Mr. Khan. You are supposed to do the speech but if you don’t want… “ – “Well, I think, I have to do it. So, last question…” It were three last questions when the chief woman once again interrupted. Now, it was finished, right?
No, it wasn’t. ShahRukh gave to each of us the wanted autographs, and I got the three for my friends. It was 6.45pm when ShahRukh left…
I also left the Maritim, exhausted and slightly depressed. The long way of loosing hope and then the intensity of the nearness during the more than twenty minutes without having exchanged more than twenty words with him… I was not at all in the mood to go to the Surprise party in the Gate Club, I only wanted to return to my relatives and tell them and then go to bed, taking refuge in sleep. Not thinking, not feeling. I sent a message to Yesim knowing that she (and perhaps others) would be disappointed; I suggested to give my bonus-ticket to someone else; I was on the verge of crying. I even didn’t know why. Instead of ten minutes ShahRukh I had got more than twenty, I had got six hours where I saw him from time to time, being at the same place, smiling to Yaseen, his bodyguard. I should have felt blessed, but I felt like a lost child.

Fortunately, there was the next day. and the sun was shining. I would be with my friends. I would see and hear ShahRukh. I was happy again.
Quinze jours se sont passés depuis Berlin, une éternité et, en même temps, juste un pas en avant… Quand il s'agit de ShahRukh, quand l'amour dicte le temps, la durée se tire à l'infini et se contracte simultanément. C'est maintenant la troisième fois que je vis ça quand il s'agit de cet homme exceptionnel.
Quand je fis le dernier 'salut' à mes amies françaises après le Talent Campus, je savais, que c'était définitivement fini. La dernière cigarette à Berlin, monter dans la voiture, partir… A ce moment-là, l'amour me protégeait encore de la tristesse, du manque, des questions refoulées, surgies après un samedi tourmenté. J'avais passé des heures formidables avec les fans de ShahRukh, avec ShahRukh et ses fans, dans ce cycle d'amour et d'enthousiasme, de joie et d'émotions tumultueuses. Pendant ces rencontres, je ne me suis jamais approchée de lui, j'étais seulement dans l'observation. Je l'aimais pour ce qu'il donnait à chacun atteignable, j'aimais ses fans pour ce qu'elles (et aussi quelques 'ils') lui donnaient. Cet échange fut tellement précieux, un tel espoir pour un monde meilleur que cela me remplissait d'un bonheur incroyable. Bien sûr, il y avait cette sorte d'hystérie et bousculade bien connue, la foule folle, quoi. Mais il y avait aussi d'autre chose, palpable, surtout dans les moments de silence. Je me demandais si quelqu'un d'en haut avait tracé une ligne autour de l'endroit, le protégeant de chaque intervention perturbante de l'extérieur.
Le tapis rouge devant le cinéma… J'étais sur le trottoir, à quelques pas de l'endroit où la limousine avec ShahRukh dedans s'arrêta. Il a dû avoir vu la ligne des fans dans l'obscurité de l'autre côté de la rue car quand les officiels et les gardes du corps mis à sa disposition à Berlin voulaient le guider sur le tapis, il fit non de la tête, se tourna et traversa la rue, les autres galopant derrière lui. Le seul qui fut tout de suite à son côté, c'était Yaseen, son garde du corps depuis des années. Il connaît bien son 'boss' comme il le nomme.
J'ai déjà vu ShahRukh interagir avec ses fans à la première de Chak De à Londres, mais Berlin, c'était maintes fois plus intense. J'étais heureuse, je savais maintenant qu'il ira voir tous ses fans, n'importe le temps que ça durera. Après avoir fait la ligne longue il revenait, et les fans tout à l'extrême gauche criaient de joie. Quand il s'approchait de l'endroit où j'étais planqué sur le trottoir, la sécurité me disait de m'en aller (j'étais la seule pas derrière des barrières) et j'obtempérai. Je passai derrière la boule autour de ShahRukh remarquant que son aura se dirigeait uniquement vers l'avant, à l'encontre de ses fans, la sécurité derrière lui était littéralement dans le froid (je ne pense pas qu'il avait de l'affection pour ces gens qui essayaient constamment de l'urger à faire plus vite parce qu'il y avait la presse qui l'attendait et puis le public dans le cinéma et on était déjà en retard et patati et patata). Ce grand gamin, à ce moment, non, dans ces moments, se fichait royalement de la presse et, certainement, envoyait en pensées un 'sorry, but you have to wait' au public l'attendant au cinéma. Une heure et vingt minutes plus tard, il entra dans le cinéma, après des derniers baisers jetés à ses fans ravis, après une dernière révérence. Il avait rajeuni de dix ans!
Quand il ressortit de la porte à côté dix minutes plus tard, la sécurité lui ouvrit la porte de la limousine et de nouveau il faisait signe que non. Chaque fan venu(e) se poster là recevait une autre 'dose' de ShahRukh. Presque trois heures plus tard, il revenait, disant à la sécurité qu'il ne voulait pas sortir à la sauvette, mais voir encore les fans qui avaient passés des heures à attendre pour voir le film ou pour le voir, lui, encore une fois. Des barrières formaient un corridor descendant de l'entrée droite, mais finalement, il ne pouvait plus régaler ses fans encore une fois puisque dans le foyer, il y avait déjà trop de gens parce qu'on avait ouvert la porte du milieu (eh oui, l'information n'avait pas atteint tous les responsables). Donc, ShahRukh a dû partir de la porte à côté… Est-ce qu'il faut préciser combien je fus touchée par son comportement?!
Quand après le Talent Campus, il fit arrêter la limousine et en sortit, je me disais que cet homme a dans son petit doigt plus d'intelligence, savoir faire et respect pour ceux qui comptent que tous les stars (avec lesquels on le compare toujours de nouveau) ensemble. Et quand il fit attendre pour plus de vingt minutes des bus du transport public, mon cœur jubilait se disant que, une fois de plus, il avait réussi un de ses buts les plus importants: capter autant de yeux que possible. Maintenant les passagers de ces deux bus l'avaient bien vu!!! Et si seulement la moitié des ces gens retenait le nom de celui qui avait les culots de retarder le trafic et agir contre la ponctualité allemande, ça serait un succès considérable! Il s'était imposé dans ce festival comme le vrai star!! Ah, vraiment, tout l'univers s'était mis en accord avec ShahRukh et ses fans – en plus, il faisait beau temps!
Ma propre rencontre avec ShahRukh n'avait rien à faire avec ses fans, ou plutôt pas directement. Je vivais une sorte de cauchemar qui tournait en je-ne-sais-pas-comment-le-nommer. A vous de juger. Cela se passait le samedi et je l'ai toujours dans mon système.
A travers un journal berlinois, j'avais obtenu auprès de Eros Entertainment une interview de dix minutes avec ShahRukh lors d'un 'parcours' de presse avec, au début, un photo-shooting suivi par des interviews avec des journaux, magazines et chaînes TV. J'étais la deuxième sur la liste après le photo-shooting. Comme d'habitude, ShahRukh était en retard, mais seulement d'une heure. Les trois minutes du photo-shooting étaient la chose la plus désagréable que j'avais vécue jusqu'alors en relation avec ShahRukh. Imaginez cet homme, tout seul dans un coin dans un beau salon, devant des affiches d'OSO (bien sûr, le ShahRukh en carton), devant lui une ligne de photographes le regardant uniquement à travers des objectifs, submergé sans cesse par des flashs et des clics, clics, embroché par des yeux qu'il ne voyait pas… Comme je ne faisais pas des photos (je déteste ce 'jeu'), je le regardais avec mes yeux et je me demandais comment il faisait pour ne pas seulement supporter ces trois minutes qui me semblaient se dilater à vingt, mais en plus de donner des photos que nous tous aimons tellement. Qu'est-ce qui lui trottait dans la tête qu'il pouvait sourire, sembler être relaxé malgré la tension que je sentais. Mais peut-être ce n'était que moi qui la sentait, peut-être elle n'existait que dans mon imagination.
Quand il arriva dans le salon, il passa devant moi en me demandant comment je vais (il m'avait donc reconnue)- je lui disais que j'allais vachement bien (me réjouissant du fait que j'étais la seule à laquelle il s'était adressé directement – les autres avait reçu un "hello, sorry, I am late" général). Mais étrangement, ces mots devraient rester les seuls que je recevais de sa part pendant cette journée. Après le photo-shooting, la responsable londonienne de Eros Entertainment demanda aux responsables allemandes de l'horaire presse de changer la suite des interviews, de donner la préférence aux médias nationaux et puis, après, de tenir compte aux médias régionaux… bref, mon interview fut différée et encore différée, puis, on me disait que j'aurai seulement encore 5 minutes, puis, après plus de quatre heures d'attente, pas d'interview du tout. Bien sûr, j'ai protesté, bien sûr, ça n'a pas aidé. Les responsables allemandes étaient surpassées par leur tache de concerter les interviews. Ils avaient trop souvent oubliés d'observer que le temps donné (10 minutes, 20 minutes etc.) soit respecté (c'était leur tache de frapper à la porte pour signaler la fin de l'interview). Elles devaient téléphoner à des médias dont les interviews étaient fixées pour plus tard, d'autres devaient attendre plus de deux heures, quelques-uns qui n'avaient pas obtenus la permission pour un interview la recevait maintenant… c'était le bordel. ShahRukh, lui, il faisait son travail. Sans interruption (sauf pour deux fois aller aux toilettes). Chaque fois qu'il changeait la salle (les interviews pour des journaux et magazines étaient dans une autre pièce que ceux avec des chaînes TV), il passait devant moi (et les autres qui attendaient) sans jamais regarder personne (comme s'il faisait le blanc dans le cerveau, une sorte de récréation mentale) – on lui parlait, mais il ne parlait pas.
ShahRukh était venu à midi et était censé de partir à 18h pour son hôtel pour se changer puisqu'il lui fallait atteindre un dîner. A 18 h, il avait encore un interview avec une chaîne TV. Nous étions encore huit personnes à attendre ce qu'il se passera. Un quart d'heure plus tard, on le savait: ShahRukh avait demandé de nous faire venir tous ensemble pour que nous ne fussions pas venues en vain. Il avait effectué plus de six heures d'interviews, mais il était là, corps et esprit alerte, charmant, patient. La seule chose qui laissait apparaître les heures de travail fut sa voix qui était un peu rauque. On nous avait dit "5 minutes" quand nous nous sommes installés sur un canapé et un fauteuil. Le deuxième fauteuil dans le salon fut poussé vers nous par un ShahRukh très à l'aise dans cette ronde intime. Les 5 minutes étaient devenues quinze minutes quand la voix d'une des responsables disait "dernière question". ShahRukh se tournait vers la voix. "Mr. Khan, vous êtes tenu de faire un discours lors du dîner et vous devez encore aller dans votre hôtel." la voix expliquait avec une urgence perceptible. Dois-je vraiment, ShahRukh demanda (en anglais). "Ben, c'est votre décision, finalement, mais vous l'aviez dit." Donc, je dois, il répondait comme un gamin qui doit faire quelque chose dont il n'a pas envie. Alors, dernière question, il disait en se retournant vers nous. C'étaient trois dernières questions, et après, il donnait à chacun l'autographe demandé (moi, j'ai obtenu trois pour trois amies). Il avait passé plus de vingt minutes avec nous…
Lors de ce ronde, je n'ai pas posé de question (il y avait assez d'autres qui le faisait), donc pas de raison d'adresser la parole à moi (je savais déjà que je ne pouvais pas écrire l'article commandé par le journal, donc pas besoin de prendre la parole). De nouveau, j'étais dans l'observation – c'était la première fois que je lui étais aussi proche pendant autant de temps, dans une atmosphère presque intime (la salle de la conférence de presse à Londres n'avait rien d'intime), ça aurait pu être chez lui, à Mannat. Je voyais qu'il se sentais bien avec nous puisque nous, on était des fans, il savait ça (les 'journos' travaillaient pour 'Ishq', 'Indien-Magazin', ''… je pense que moi, j'étais la seule travaillant pour un journal hors du monde du cinéma Hindi). Comme toujours, il se concentrait sur la personne avec laquelle il parlait mais nous étions tous dans son cercle d'aura – il avait les bras grand ouverts, il nous embrassait mentalement – une atmosphère incroyablement agréable. Quand il était parti, sa présence restait encore le moment où on se trouvait dans le salon…
Seul dans l'ascenseur, je craquais, les larmes coulaient. Attendre six heures en vain pour une interview qu'on aurait dû avoir, ne plus échanger de mot avec lui (sauf la demande pour les autographes et un chaleureux merci de les avoir obtenues), mais l'avoir vu et, en quelque sorte, senti pendant des heures, et très intensément les dernières vingt minutes… ce mélange de fatigue et déception et en même temps de bonheur et gratitude était trop pour mes nerfs (en plus, je n'avais pas dormi après être rentrée du film à cinq heures du matin). Je ne voulais que rentrer et m'enrouler dans mon lit…
Le lendemain, le soleil souriait et moi avec. Le sommeil avait balayé tout ce qui m'avait oppressé le soir avant. Et je savais que je reverrais ShahRukh.
Maintenant, quinze jours plus tard, l'euphorie de ces jours à Berlin est un souvenir agréable. Le reste, les tourments, ça fait partie du bonheur, n'est-ce pas?

Discover yourself...

yet don't tell



Entdecke Dich selbst...

aber sag es keinem!



mais ne le raconte

à personne!

Diese Webseite wurde kostenlos mit erstellt. Willst du auch eine eigene Webseite?
Gratis anmelden